Skip to content

Policies & Legislations

Currently, 17 states allow for in-state tuition for undocumented students (updated as of Oct 2014). Under Assembly Bill 540, California is one of them. What are the requirements?

  • Attend a CA high school for three years
  • Graduate from a CA high school
  • Fill out an affidavit that states one will apply for US residency as soon as possible

CA Dream Act (AB 130 and AB 131):

  • AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive non-state-funded institutional aid.
  • AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant, and Chafee Grant. 

Other laws related to undocumented immigrants

Driver’s License (AB 60): Beginning January 1, 2015, any eligible California resident will be able to receive a driver’s license, regardless of immigration status. An applicant who does not have proof of lawful presence will receive an AB 60 license, which will have a visible distinguishing feature. For more information, visit Drive's CA coalition website.

Trust Act (AB 4): The TRUST Act (AB 4) went into effect on Jan. 1, 2014. It limits the collaboration between Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and local police. All counties in California must follow this law, which limits immigration "hold" requests in local jails.

SB 1159: Effective, Jan. 1, 2016. SB 1159 requires all 40 licensing boards under the California Department of Consumer Affairs to consider applicants regardless of immigration status by 2016. These licensing boards include licensing needed to practice medicine, accounting, law, etc.

CA Dream Loan Program (SB 1210): Effective for the 2015-2016 academic year, students attending a participating campus of UC or CSU may receive a loan, referred to as a DREAM loan, through the program if the student satisfies specified requirements.