Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help

State Assembly Bill 540

What is Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540)?

Assembly Bill 540 is a California law that allows qualified students to pay in‐state tuition at the state's institutions of higher education. For example, based in 2013‐2014, the average in‐state annual tuition for a in-state student at the University of California was $13,200 compared to out‐state tuition $36,078 for a non‐resident student. AB 540 does not grant state or federal financial eligibility, and only provides an exemption to the requirements to pay non‐resident tuition.

The Law - Assembly Bill 540

On October 12, 2001, Governor Gray Davis signed into law Assembly Bill 540 (Assemblyman Marco Firebaugh) (Stats. 2001, ch. 814) adding a new section, 68130.5, to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 created a new exemption from the payment of non‐resident tuition for certain non‐resident students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent.

How Does One Qualify for AB 540?

To qualify as an AB 540 student, undocumented students must:

  • Have attended a California high school for 3 years or more full academic years between grades 9 through 12 (they do not need to be consecutive years).
  • Be (or will be) a graduate from a California high school or have attained a GED; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE).
  • Register or be currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California.
  • File or plan to file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that he/she will apply for legal residency as soon as possible.
  • Not hold a valid non‐immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.). Students that do not qualify for AB 540 can still attend a California institution of higher education as long as they meet the admissions criteria and are accepted by the university, but they must pay out‐state tuition.